Go to Top

News

New Frankston Signage

Peninsula Skin Cancer Centre has been owned by Australian Skin Cancer Clinics [Matrix] since 2015 however we have only just changed our signage in Frankston. We hope our bright new sign will help you find our same clinic and staff, with the large free car park.

369 melanomas

The total number of melanomas detected at Peninsula Skin Cancer Centre in 2019 was 369. This includes melanomas detected at Mornington and Frankston. Fortunately 98% of these melanomas were considered thin, less than 1mm deep, which means a wide excision is all that is required to treat that primary melanoma. All of these melanoma patients will require close surveillance for the next few years as they have an increased risk …Read More

Accredited Skin Cancer Doctors

This means that they have successfully completed a high level of training with the College and have proven skills in the diagnosis, treatment and management of skin cancer. Dr Mostafa Ziabari, Dr Jeremy Hay, Dr Sally Shaw and Dr Mary Tai Kie have all achieved Fellowship with the Skin Cancer College of Australasia. Dr Shamini Wiknesh and Dr Nadeeja Jayasinghe are currently working towards achieving fellowship. This means all our …Read More

Melanomas Detected at PSCC in 2017

Peninsula Skin Cancer Centre detected a record breaking 463 melanomas in 2017 in our two clinics. Over the last few years we have monitored the number of melanomas detected in our clinics and then analysed the number of melanomas for each age group, sex and the depth of melanomas. This valuable information helps us to monitor our performance at detecting melanomas on our patients and our ability to recognise melanoma …Read More

Sunscreen use can cut melanoma numbers

The results of a study by Brisbane’s QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute has tried to quantify the benefits of applying sunscreen. Their study found that regular sunscreen use would reduce the incidence of melanoma in Australia by about 34 percent by 2031, which would translate into 28,000 fewer melanomas. QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute’s professor David Whiteman hopes for a more realistic 5% increase in sunscreen use which would still reduce …Read More

Aerosol Sunscreen Warnings

The Australian Cancer Council have made an announcement stating they no longer recommend the use of spray-on and aerosol sunscreens. They have also withdrawn their own branded spray-on sunscreens from their online shop. The CEO of the Cancer Council, Professor Sancha Aranda, explained to reporters that Australians are not particularly good at the correct application of these types of sunscreens and that we should stick to using sunscreen creams and …Read More

National Skin Cancer Action Week

National Skin Cancer Action Week is the 19th to 25th of November in 2017. The theme this year is #SunSmartGeneration as the younger generations have been brought up with our Sunsmart message. This has led a decrease in the number of melanomas in this age group. The older generation however, continue to have an increase in the number of skin cancers, including melanoma. This age group have also shown a …Read More

70% of melanomas are new moles

A recent study published in the Journal of American Academy of Dermatology (A meta-analysis of nevus-associated melanoma: Prevalence and practical implications. Pampena R1, Kyrgidis A1, Lallas A2, Moscarella E1, Argenziano G3, Longo C4) showed that only 29.1% of more than 20,000 melanomas studied were associated with an existing mole with the remaining 70.9% melanomas arising de novo, that is from a new mole. With 70% of melanomas arising as a new mole, maybe we need to …Read More

Positive News For Melanoma Treatment

Researchers at Melanoma Institute Australia have released a report showing encouraging results for stage 3 melanoma patients, that is melanoma patients who have had melanoma spread to their lymph nodes. In the past, stage 3 melanoma treatments had very poor results in stopping the progression of melanoma metastasis, with 40-70% developing advanced and fatal melanoma. Researchers at Melanoma Institute Australia now have results from two trials that have encouraging results. …Read More

Skin Cancer Congress 2017

Our dedicated doctors attended the Skin Cancer Congress on the Gold Coast last May to keep up to date with the latest techniques for detecting melanoma and treating skin cancer. Our doctor, Dr Sally Shaw, was interviewed by Ten News explaining the importance of all GP’s to be trained in Skin Cancer Medicine, especially in dermatoscopy which enables the doctor to detect skin cancer, especially melanoma, at it’s earliest stage. …Read More

Show social buttons
Share On Linkedin
Share On Pinterest
Hide